Packing Tips for Moving
These packing tips from Storage Deluxe have been amassed from many of our customers. Our team helps hundreds of people move every day and these experiences have been developed into a guide to make your move run as smoothly as can be.
Plan your packing in advance. Boxes from supermarkets seem like a cheap alternative, but are often poor quality or damp. Save yourself a lot of hassle later on by using good boxes and packing supplies.
Don’t clutter up your new living space. Do yourself a favor and throw out all the accumulated junk that you know will never be of use! Create a pile of the things you rarely or seasonally use and make storage arrangements.
Try to pack non-essential items in advance to prevent a nervous breakdown on the week of the move!
How to Pack on Your Moving Day
- Clearly label all boxes (and carpets), packing for whichever room
they will be moved to.
- When packing boxes spread the weight of heavy items over several
- Avoid over-packing boxes and avoid a slipped disc…keep the weight
of boxes to a minimum.
- Make sure the boxes are easy to lift, manage, and move with the tops secured.
- Use bubble wrap and newspaper for packing fragile items.
- Disconnect appliances such as washing machines and dishwashers in advance.
- Defrost freezers so they are clear of ice on moving day
- Don’t pop all of the bubble wrap – you’ll need it for packing!
- Label which boxes contain fragile items.
- Take apart large items (e.g. tables) as much as possible for easier
packing and moving.
- Pack a separate “emergency” box with things you’ll need on the day before the move.
Move your valuable possessions safely into storage with Storage Deluxe. We have a full range of packing and moving supplies at very fair prices. If you need additional moving and packing tips call us toll free at: (877) 989-STORE (7867). We’re always happy to help.