Our moving tips have been created from all the stories we’ve heard – both good and bad. Every day the Storage Deluxe team helps hundreds of people move. From these experiences we have produced this moving guide to help your move go smoothly.
Planning your move well in advance can save you hours of stress in the long run. Once you know the completion date of the move, start planning!
The following planner will help you focus on what needs to be done when.
Moving Date: 1 Month To Go:
- Notify landlord (if applicable).
- Contact telephone company to organize reconnection/installation of a line.
- Inform gas & electric providers that you will be the new owner of the property.
- Start collecting packing materials.
- Book time off work.
- Have a clear out! Make 3 piles or lists: Throw out. Put in storage. Give to charity.
Moving Date: 2 Weeks and Counting:
- Book truck rental or free pick up with Storage Deluxe.
- Arrange transit insurance (if necessary) for the move.
- Inform appropriate people of your change of address.
- Tell Post Office to redirect mail on date of move.
- Organize for someone to look after any kids and pets.
- Make plan of new home and decide which rooms will be used for what.
- Start packing — it’s never too early.
Moving Date: 1 Week Left:
- Arrange for any final bills to be paid.
- Have meters read and pay any outstanding amount.
- Cancel any services, e.g. window cleaner, newspaper delivery.
- Confirm arrangements with utility companies.
- Arrange the exchange of keys. Collect yours as soon as possible.
- Find some old blankets to put down in new house to protect carpets.
- Make map of new property for the removal company.
- Start cleaning the house.
Moving Date: The Day Before:
- Things don’t always go according to plan. If things go wrong remember, you can get a storage unit for everything from a few boxes to the entire contents of a 4 bedroom house. Check out our express service for immediate help.
- Label boxes and finalize packing.
- Pack a container for emergency supplies.
- Defrost fridge/freezer.
- Finish cleaning the house or apartment.
Moving Date: The Day of the Move:
- Disconnect any remaining appliances.
- Have one last final check.
- Close and lock doors and windows.